Monday 10 March 2014

Fresh Mozzarella Balsamic Chicken

Fresh Mozzarella Balsamic Chicken (click for original recipe)

This recipe was SO yummy and SO easy to make. It was also done in 30 minutes + a little prep time.

Everyone in my house loved it and I will be making this again for sure. I excluded tomatoes on my kids chicken because they don't like them, but I LOVED the taste the fresh tomato added to the dish. I also forgot to add the balsamic vinegar until after it was all cooked, but I don't think it effected flavour at all.

I HIGHLY recommend you use fresh mozzarella usually found in the deli meet/cheese section of your grocery store.

I served this with a side of mashed potatoes and veggies. I think it would be good on top of a pasta dish as well.



INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 lb of boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 fresh tomato, sliced
  • 1 ball of fresh mozzarella 
  • 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar 
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon of dried basil (I just sprinkled some on)
  • 1 teaspoon of dried parsley (I just sprinkled some on)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a casserole dish and set aside.

2. Combine the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, and breadcrumbs in a bowl. 

3. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg / water mixture, then dip each piece of chicken in the seasoning mixture and be sure to coat each breast well.

4. Place chicken in the casserole dish you set aside. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

5. Remove the chicken and turn the oven to broil. Top the chicken with the sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar. Place back in the oven for an additional 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. (I added the vinegar after it had broiled and let it soak while the chicken rested, I would probably do that again).

6. Remove from the oven and then sprinkle with the basil and parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment