This recipe was THE BOMB!!!
We made this for my son's advent calendar activity that he earned that day. He was in heaven.
I made boxed fudge brownies, added vanilla bean ice cream and then topped it off with this fudge sauce. I thought my body was going to start vibrating from the sugar rush. I even made homemade whipped cream, but we were so eager to eat it, that I completely forgot to put it on top!
This would be great idea for a birthday party if you wanted to do something different then a cake. One year, we had a Sunday bar for my son's birthday and I wish I had this recipe then. It is better then any store bought Hot Fudge Sauce.
NOTE: this recipe can last in the fridge for 2 weeks and you can just reheat it in the microwave in 30 sec intervals.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 4 squares (4 ounces) unsweetened chocolate
- 1½ cups sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Place the butter and chocolate squares in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring with a whisk, until they melt. Turn off heat.
- Whisk in the sugar and salt.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk and heat over medium heat. Cook at a gentle simmer, whisking constantly, until the sauce thickens enough to coat a spatula, about 12-15 minutes. AKA a freaking long time. It is important that it is a low heat, but it still needs to simmer or you will be whisking FOREVER without it thickening up.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Serve within an hour, or cover and place in refrigerator. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.