Sunday 22 September 2013

Lemon Angel Hair with Chicken

This week was a good week for recipes. This was another hit...though it took longer then I had liked and it dirtied A LOT of dishes. I think this dish could go quicker the more I make it and if I leave out the bacon next time. Bacon was not part of the original recipe, but I thought...hey...bacon goes great with everything. Actually, in this dish, it got lost in the lemon flavour of the dish and it was almost a waste of bacon....GASP!

I would definitely make this again and I think I even liked it more the next day. The chicken was to die for and I will definitely be making the chicken again to add to any casserole or salad. My man ate his plate clean, but it was too spicy for my toddler and my son was sick, so he ate toast that night instead.

I sadly didn't have time to take a picture because I was starving by the time the dish finished, haha!

Lemon Angel Hair with Chicken (click for original recipe)

Make the Chicken first, you can make the rest of the dish while it bakes in the oven.

Perfect Chicken

2-4 boneless chicken breasts with or without rib meat
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. paprika
2-3 T. olive oil

Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl. Coat the chicken breasts in the seasoning, rubbing in to coat. 

Pour olive oil in the bottom of a Dutch oven, and heat to med-high. When nice and hot, add chicken to the pan (in batches if necessary). Cook 2-3 min per side. 

Place uncovered Dutch oven in a 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until juices run clear. Let sit on a plate 5-10 minutes before cutting, shredding, or eating.

Lemon Angel Hair with Chicken and Spinach

1/2 lb angel hair pasta (I used fresh)
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 t. crushed red pepper (use less if you want less spicy)
Perfect Chicken, cut into chunks
2 lemons, zested and juiced
3/4 c. half-and-half (I used half 2% milk and half heavy whipping cream)
1 c. Parmesan, grated (or shredded)
1 c. baby spinach, stems removed
3 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 - 1 cup of pasta water
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Salt the water well, and add pasta. Drain pasta - DO NOT RINSE.

Heat a large skillet over low heat. Add oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Cook until the oil sizzles.

Add lemon juice, half-and-half, and a ladle of the pasta water to the garlic oil mixture. Raise the heat to med-low to med heat until the sauce begins to bubble. 

Add the pasta, zest, and 1/2 c. Parmesan to the cream sauce. Toss for a minute or two. Add chicken and spinach, and toss until well distributed. Top with remaining cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment