Thursday 18 July 2013

Huevos Rancheros

So, I have been a little AWOL lately. No exotic tales regarding my absence......just life.

We went on a family vacation for a week and rented a cottage on the ocean. It was a week full of family, beautiful weather, lots of laughs and most importantly....RELAXATION. I needed a break from my every day routine and it allowed me to come back home refreshed and rejuvenated.

My other excuses as to why I have been quiet on my blog is the simple fact that I have not been meal planning for the last 2 weeks. My man is away most of this week and ...... last week...... I think my brain was still on vacation.

It was nice to not have to take the time to plan our meals, however, it lead to less healthy meals and more $ being spent. I am eager to get back onto my routine and I will have a meal plan for next week.

Here is a recipe from the last week that I did a meal plan. We have made this twice since, so it is a definite keeper and a great Meatless Monday option!

I have never eaten Huevos Rancheros before, but my man raved about one that he ate in California, so I had to try this. He LOVED this recipe, as did I. I combined 2 recipes that I found online because I didn't like how the original recipe made their beans. The 2nd time I made them, I found a a different way to prepare them and they turned out MUCH better.



HUEVOS RANCHEROS

For the Beans: (this makes enough beans for 6-8 servings of Huevos Rancheros)

  • 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 Tbs. mild olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. ground chipotle/chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1. In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the beans, olive oil, onion and garlic powders, chipotle, oregano, and 1/4 cup water. 
  • 2. Cook, mashing with a potato masher, until the beans are hot, well mashed, and thickened to a spreadable consistency, about 3 minutes. 
  • 3. Season to taste with salt. Put aside for later.
 For the rest of the recipe: (I will give you the process for 1 serving of Huevos Rancheros)

* Oil for frying
* 6 inch tortillas
* 2 Tbs. salsa (I used Costco salsa, it is soooo good)
* 2 eggs
* Cheese, grated (your favorite kind)
*  Sour cream, fresh cilantro and pepper for garnish
* 2 Tbs of the bean mixture
1. Put a small skillet over the heated burner and add the tiniest bit of oil. Lightly fry (it’s almost toasting really) a tortilla until slightly browned and bubbly. Transfer to a plate.
2. Add a tsp of oil (or a little more) to the skillet and crack your eggs in it. Continue to fry the eggs until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. I added some grated cheese so it melts on top.
3. In the meantime, spread the bean mixture over each tortilla, followed by the salsa. Then top each with the eggs. Dollop with a little more salsa, sour cream fresh cilantro sprigs and a good grind of black pepper.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment