Monday 10 June 2013

Strawberry Cream Crepes

Strawberry Cream Crepes

Ever have dessert for supper? Well, I felt like I did tonight!!! These were SO yummy. My man HIGHLY approved, especially for the cream cheese filling. Even better, I didn't have to make them! My man came home early from work to make supper and that was even more of a treat then the crepes.

As I was reading the reviews for this recipe (which I do if there are any, so please if you have made any of my recipes, feel free to leave a comment!), some comments were that the filling was WAY too sweet. So, I found some other similar recipes and I saw one recipe that used only 1/4 cup of icing sugar. We were happy with how it turned out, but if you want it sweeter, add more to taste.

The crepes were time consuming to make because they make so many, but everything else takes very little time to put together. We froze our left over crepes in a freezer bag with parchment paper in between the crepes.



Here is a pic of our crepe pan. It is thin, so I think that is what allows it to cook the crepe perfectly. I am not sure if you could substitute for a frying pan or not.  I bought it for my man a few Christmas' ago at Sears for $50-60.


PS: I had a little of the cream cheese mixture left over, so I whipped up a cup of whipping cream, then whipped them both together and used with the fresh berries and it was just as good. I think I might have even liked it better because it was lighter.

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • Additional butter
  • FILLING:
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar **We used only 1/4 cup**
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract **We didn't add this**
TOPPINGS:
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced. 
  • Bananas, sliced **We added these last minute**
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Directions

  • In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, water, butter and salt. Add flour; beat until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. ** We didn't have time to let it sit for an hour, we made it right away**
  • I added some sugar to the berries and let them sit while the crepes were being made to add moisture to the berries.
  • In an 8-in. nonstick skillet, melt 1 teaspoon butter; pour 2 tablespoons of batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom.
  • Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
  • For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and peel until smooth. 
  • We spread this on a crepe, then layered the strawberries, bananas and whip cream. ***The original recipe said to add the filling and toppings together and mix it up, but we decided to keep it separate. I am curious as to how it would be all together though. If you add it all together, the original recipe calls for 4 cups of berries**
  • Yield: 15 crepes.

No comments:

Post a Comment