Sunday 2 June 2013

Crock pot Chicken Fajitas


Crock pot Chicken Fajitas

I was skeptical about this recipe, because I like my fajita veggies to be somewhat crispy....however I did enjoy this recipe. It was more like a pull chicken type of fajita. I also thought it tasted even better the next day. It would be great for lunch the next day.

The only changes I would make, would be to add some heat (maybe some cayenne pepper) and add less chicken stalk (I think I added between 1/4 - 1/2 cup).

I did make one addition and that was some rice in the fajita. I made some jasmine rice and when it was cooked, I added the juice of a half a lime and 1 cube of frozen cilantro. It was a great addition.





  • 1 yellow onion, sliced
  • 3 sweet peppers, sliced
  • 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast or thighs
  • 1/4 to ½ cup chicken broth, depending on preference (leave this out if you prefer a drier fajita filling)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons cumin
  • 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
  • Squirt of lime juice
  • Tortillas
  • Fajita fixings
Combine sliced onion and peppers in the bottom of a greased crockpot. Lay chicken on top of veggies. Pour chicken broth over top. Sprinkle everything with cumin, **I would add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper next time ** salt, and chili powder. Give a nice quirt of lime juice over the top. Cover and cook on low for 4-8 hours (or on High for 4 hours) or until meat is shreddable. When meat is done, shred with two forks and stir back into juices. Serve meat mixture with slotted spoon on tortillas with your choice of fixings.

2 comments:

  1. I have a similar recipe but mine doesn't call for any liquid. I put the chicken in frozen (I'm gone for more than 8 hours everyday so I set a timer and don't like to leave raw chicken out) and I end up with a ton of liquid at the bottom. Mine also calls for a packet of taco seasoning instead of individual spices, but I don't like using prepackaged stuff so I may switch to what yours uses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Putting it in is a great idea. I usually thaw it out...not sure why when I know it will slow cook all day....

      Delete