Sunday 19 May 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup


I have to say this was an easy and quick recipe. I did the food prep the night before and put it together the morning before I went to work. I came home and it was ready. I love nights like these.

This was a good soup, but I think I added too much water and I didn't find the flavour as strong as I wanted it to be.

PS: As I was writing this post, I realized that the recipe called for 2 cans of diced tomatoes....I only added 1. OOPS. I think that may be why the flavour was toned down for me.


2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cans of diced tomatoes (any flavour you want)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained **all I had was a half of can**
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn *I used about 1/2 cup of frozen corn**
1 onion, chopped
2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
1-2 cups of water
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chile powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp dried cilantro **I couldn't find dried cilantro, so I used the frozen kind**
tortilla chips
sour cream
shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
Put chopped onion, cans of beans, rotel, corn, chicken broth, water, and spices in CrockPot and stir to mix. Put chicken breasts on top of mixture and make sure they’re at least partly submerged in liquid. Cook on high 6-7 hours or low 8-9 hours. Before serving remove the chicken breasts from soup and shred, if needed, (sometimes they’ll just fall apart on their own, but sometimes they need some help). Return chicken to CrockPot, stir to combine. **I was able to shred it in the crockpot**
To serve put a few tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, ladle soup over tortilla chips, top with shredded cheddar cheese, and a dollop of sour cream, serve with more chips if you like. **I think I would add some fresh chopped tomato on top next time**

1 comment:

  1. Hey Foo,
    One thing I've learned from doing slow cooker recipes is that because the lid is air/water tight sauces don't thicken very much because the water has no where to evaporate. That's why a lot of recipes call for using cream of something soup but no water.

    ReplyDelete