Wednesday 8 May 2013

Chicken hot and spicy braised peanut chicken

Chicken hot and spicy braised peanut chicken




If you crave Thai food, then this is the recipe for you!

I made this in the crock pot and I did my food prep the night before, so it came together VERY quickly the day of. All I had to do was cook rice!

The recipe is great the way it is, but I think I will add semi-cooked sweet potato chunks at the end next time. I think it would kick it up a notch for me. I also forgot to add the garnish at the end and I am so disappointed because I think the crushed peanuts and cilantro would have turned this recipe from good, to great.


Ingredients
  • 2medium onions, cut into thin wedges
  • 1 1/2cups  sliced carrot (3 medium)
  • 1small red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
  • 2pounds  skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3/4cup  chicken broth
  • 3tablespoons  creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2teaspoon  finely shredded lime peel
  • 2tablespoons  lime juice
  • 2tablespoons  soy sauce
  • 2tablespoons  quick-cooking tapioca
  • 1tablespoon  grated fresh ginger
  • 2 - 3teaspoons  red curry paste
  • 4garlic, minced
  • 1/2cup  unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1cup  frozen peas
  • Hot cooked rice
  • Chopped peanuts (optional)
  • Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

  • directions
1.In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, place onions, carrot, and sweet pepper. Top with chicken. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, peanut butter, lime peel, lime juice, soy sauce, tapioca, ginger, curry paste, and garlic until smooth. Pour over all in cooker.

2.Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in coconut milk and peas. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

3.Serve chicken mixture over hot cooked rice. If desired, sprinkle each serving with chopped peanuts and cilantro. Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment