Tuesday 11 December 2012

Chili time!

This is one of my all time favorites to eat and make for several reasons.

1. It is very tasty
2. It is easy and quick to make
3. Great for freezing for later meals or in individual containers to bring to work for lunch
4. It is versatile. Can make chili cheese fries, can make a chili dog, or put is in an omelette

You will need a slow cooker, but you can cook it on the stove top as well.

Ingredients: The recipe is in my head and I don't measure, so I will have to guesstimate

lean or extra lean ground beef, just a small package is fine unless you want to double the recipe
red kidney beans (I only use 1 can, but if you like a lot of beans, by more and/or other kinds as well)
small jar of salsa (I buy medium because I like a little kick)
- 1/2 bottle or can of spaghetti sauce or tomato sauce (I don't measure, I keep adding until I get the consistency I want)
Can of diced tomatoes
1 onion

- Garlic (mince 2 or 3 cloves)
Peppers (I use a little red, yellow and orange. Put as much in as you like)
- Celery (If I have celery, I add it, but it is not required)
- 1 or 2 tbsp Chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried Parsley
- 1 tbsp dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin
 Red Pepper Flakes or Hot Sauce, add to your liking

- salt and pepper

Instructions:

1. Brown the beef in a pan, I season it with salt and pepper
2. Cut up your veggies
3. Add beef and veggies into the cooker
4. Add the can of kidney beans, I don't drain them, I pour it all in. Feel free to add other beans that you like or more. I usually just stick with 1 can.
5. Add the can of diced tomatoes and as much salsa as you would like. I use about half of a medium jar
6. Add the tomato or spaghetti sauce. I go by look, not measurement. It depends on how much veggies and beef I have.
7. Mince the garlic and add.
8. Add all the spices. Feel free to increase or decrease measurements based on taste, I HIGHLY recommend you taste your food as you go. That is the only way to decide on whether you need less or more spices.
9. If you don't like any heat, don't add the chili flakes or hot sauce. If you do, add as much as want. I usually do 3 or 4 shakes if the chili flakes.
10. Set on medium to high heat for 4-5 hours hours and then turn to low for another hour or 2. If you can't be home to adjust temperature. I would cook on low for 8-9 hours. Sometimes I make it at night before I go to bed and let it cook overnight.
11. When I serve, I add my favorite cheese, sour cream and some chopped green onions

Variations:
- Sometimes if I have red wine on hand, I will add 1/3 cup
- sometimes I add a few dollops of sour cream

I would love to know what you thought of this recipe if you make it!




No comments:

Post a Comment