Wednesday 12 December 2012

Chicken Stew with balsamic roasted vegetables

I bought this great recipe book at the Dollar Store the other day for $10. I highly recommend it. I love healthy recipes that make food that I love.

The chicken Stew recipe is in this book Per serving it has 298 calories, 4.6 g of fat and 368 mg sodium. Low sodium is important to me since I had high blood pressure years ago.

I LOVED this recipe. I made a few adjustments that I make note of in the recipe. The whole family loved it and it was just as good the next day for lunch. I just wished I had bought some rolls to eat with it.

Ingredients:

4 cups of cubed red potatoes (I would use 3 cups next time
2 cups of baby carrots (I used baby and normal ones and I would do a cup of celery and a cup of carrots next time)
1 cup of chopped red onion
2 tbsp of balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp of olive oil (I used extra virgin in a dark bottle, I will be blogging soon as to why the dark bottle is important)
1 tsp of minced garlic (I used 3 cloves)
1 1/2 tsp of dried thyme (divided)
1 1/2 tsp of rosemary (divided)
1 tsp of dried tarragon
1/2 tsp of salt and ground pepper
1 cup of green beans (I used frozen peas instead and I wish I added celery)
1/2 cup of dry white wine (I would use 1 cup next time)
2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken cut into cubes
3 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth (I use epicures chicken broth, low in salt and soooo good)
3 tbsp flour

Instructions:

1. Spray large roasting pan with cooking spray. Add potatoes, carrots, onions, vinegar, oil, garlic, 1 tsp of thyme, 1 tsp of rosemary, tarragon, salt and pepper. Mix well.

2. Roast uncovered at 425F for 30 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking time. Add green beans and roast for 10 minutes more. *I didn't add the beans, but added the peas at this point*

3. Meanwhile, pour wine into a large pot and add remaining rosemary and thyme. Bring to a boil and then add chicken and then reduce heat to medium-high. Cook uncovered until chicken is cooked through. *The pot I used was cast iron, so it got really hot and my wine almost dissolved before the chicken finished cooking, so next time I will add more wine. Buy these bottles of wine, great size for cooking!*

4. Add roasted veggies to chicken and wine. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth. In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup of broth and flour until it is dissolved. Add to mixture. Cook until it has thickened. *again, because my pot got too hot, my broth dissolved quickly and I had to add about a cup more of broth and another tbsp of flour. I still wished I had more broth and next time I will adjust*

So, all in all, I totally recommend this recipe. It all came together very fast, the only time consuming thing was the food prep and waiting for the the veggies to roast, so you will need to be able to have time to prep food to make this. If I was working instead of being on Maternity Leave, I would prep the night before so it could come together quickly. I also loved that this recipe had all the ingredients I normally have at home, except tarragon, I had to run to the store for that. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of roasting veggies before putting them in a stew...will have to try that technique next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryn, I loved that part of the recipe as well, especially because it was with balsamic vinegar. I think it really added to the overall flavor of the dish.

    ReplyDelete