Tuesday 18 December 2012

Bacon, Spinach and Tomato Pasta

Bacon, Spinach, Tomato Pasta 

I follow this recipe pretty closely. Click on the name to get the  link to the original recipe. I will ** my adjustments.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt **I don't use this much**
  • 16 ounces spaghetti pasta **I use half a box of bowtie pasta**
  • 1 pound thick-cut bacon or pancetta, chopped **I use half a pund**
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon red chili flakes **I use less**
  • 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
  • 2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1/4 cup red wine 

  • 4 tablespoons fresh basil,**I used frozen cubed if I don't have fresh**


  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan **We buy the BIG ones from Costco. But we are big lovers of Parm and it will last a LONG time. It may seem expensive, but in the long run, it is cheaper and it does not go bad quickly**
  • Spinach **not in original recipe, I add this**
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Boil water, add favorite pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente.**SIDE NOTE** Some of you may know this, but I just found out recently. When you drain pasta, run under cold water, or it will keep cooking and then you may have overcooked pasta**
2. In a large saute pan over medium heat, add bacon and saute until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate and remove 3/4 of the bacon fat from the pan. Add extra-virgin olive oil, onions, and red chili flakes. Cook until onions are translucent, add garlic, Cook for 2 minutes then add tomatoes. Saute for 5 minutes, then deglaze with wine.



3. Drain pasta and add to the tomato mixture pan. Add basil and bacon.
4. Then add Spinach **I add it in bunches because it looks like a lot, then it wilts, then I add more** Toss with Parmesan, and add salt and pepper, to taste.


This is one of my FAVORITE recipes and has become a staple in our house. It is even better the next day. It comes together very quickly and not a lot of prep time.


1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I will definitely be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete